- As a starting point, a meeting is set up with the granny flat builder where. They will provide preliminary design drawings.
- Although you may want the building process to start immediately, the builder first finalises the design and gets the necessary approvals from the concerned authorities.
- The project passes through various stages.
1. Building Schedule
- An experienced builder readies a building schedule by the time a preliminary design is in hand.
- The purpose of scheduling is to procure building material, time the deliveries, ensure project progress and complete it to hand over a granny flat on time.
- All these steps precede granting of a building permit.
2. Site Clearing and Preparation
- Site preparation includes removing unwanted trees, any other obstructions such as existing structures and keeping the site ready to start building a new structure.
- The plot of land will be excavated, leveled, and plot boundaries chalked.
- The site starts buzzing with several tradesmen undertaking different tasks.
3. Pouring the Foundation slab
- At this foundation stage, termite treatment is an essential process after which the concrete slab is poured and allowed to cure.
- Based on the design, you can visualise the outlines of rooms and other spaces.
- In this stage the backbone of the granny flat structure will be started; this involves installing steel or wood frames.
- At this stage, the frames are for the walls and the roof.
- The visibility of the structure improves at this stage, and you can see the broad lines of rooms, windows, doors, etc.
5. The Lock-Up Stage
- After fixing the frame, exterior work tradies begin their work like electrical installations and plumbing.
- Some other tradies start fixing the roof, doors, and windows.
- As the structural details fill, the granny flat starts taking concrete shape.
- Now is the time for lock-up and a comprehensive inspection of the work done to date. All types of residual material are removed to clear the site, and the granny flat project gets ready for the next stage of internal and external work.
Some More Stages Of The Process Are:
- Insulation for the structure.
- External painting followed by termite treatment.
- Installing interior features like kitchen, bathrooms, etc.
- Laying flooring for all internal spaces
- Painting and finishing touches to every aspect of the granny flat.
Lastly, the builder clears the place, gives final finishing touches to ensure that everything is ship-shape and hands over the keys of the granny flat to you. Once granny flat is ready, you can check it for workmanship and safety and it will be ready to move-in.
For more information on our granny flat builder services, you can get in touch with us at 5 Star Granny Flats today! Just give us a call on 1300 843 921 or fill in this contact us form. You can also use this form to get a quick online quote.