A granny flat is designed specifically for one or two people. It is essentially is self-contained living space generally built in the outdoor area of a single-family home. This structure could be an extension of an existing dwelling or may be detached from the main house. Granny flats are fast becoming one of the most popular options for families to accommodate their aging parents. Building industry professionals most often call these structures an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) or an accessory apartment.
Some other popular terms used to describe this addition include carriage unit, in-law apartment, granny pod, etc. Today, there is a distinct surge in interest to get granny flats built. They are proving to be a boon for grandparents who feel the need to live close to their families.
Custom Designed Granny Flats
As multi-generational housing options are becoming more accepted, there will likely be an increase in the demand for granny flat constructions. Today, most builders and contractors are reporting a steady rise in inquiries for granny flat constructions. Since these features are designed and built from scratch, there is plenty of scope for customization and that’s what most credible builders focus on. A granny flat can have a range of amenities including:
- Living room space
- Full-scale kitchen facilities
- Full baths with custom amenities like shower stalls and bathtubs
In addition, some homeowners are also opting for the addition of smart technology features with high-tech monitoring capabilities. This allows the family to check on the elderly person via remote access. In fact, the customization possibilities are endless, when it comes to granny flat layouts and plans. The Safety Aspect While designing a granny flat the focus is on functionality, comfort, aesthetics, and above all safety. With this in view, the granny flat will be designed with features such as these:
- The flooring will be made of anti-slip materials.
- If the inhabitant is wheelchair-bound or uses some other mobility device, there will be a ramp leading up to the front door.
- There will be no thresholds between rooms.
- The hallways will be wider.
- The bathroom will be designed to offer better maneuverability for a person in a wheelchair.
- There will be grab bars in the bathroom as well as in hallways and passages.
- The bed will have safety rails.
- The kitchen counter heights and the placement of switches will be planned for easy access as well.
We at 5 Star Granny Flats provide excellent Granny Flat design and construction solutions. For more information about our granny flat design and construction services, feel free to contact 5 Star Granny Flats at 1300 843 921 or us the Online Form on this page to send us queries.