Are you planning to build a Granny flat in Sydney? These accessory dwelling units are a popular investment option for enhancing property value and generating rental income. It is also built to create private resistance for an old or ailing loved one. You should certainly want to know how much these units cost to build before you even before you contemplate meeting a building or designer.
Granny Flat Prices
Granny flats Sydney are built in different styles and materials and the cost can vary based on your choices. The cost of custom build units will be different from that for kits and flat-pack flats.
You should expect the cost to range from $50,000 to well over $120,000. The factors that influence the final cost will include:
- Size and floor area
- Types of materials and finishes
- Condition of your land
Even council fees can affect the cost. Plumbing and electrical expenses can also influence the cost. The distance from your property can also make a difference. If you seek to rent the unit, you will also have to add privacy features such as fences.
Granny Flat Cost by Bedrooms
The number of bedrooms in the building will have a huge impact on the cost:
- Single Bedroom Units: If you have limited space, a single-bedroom accessory dwelling unit may be perfect. Such a unit can measure anything from 35 sq.m. to 45 sq.m. and can cost up to $100,000.
- Double-Bedroom Units: These units can provide convenience to grandparents or visiting guests. The typical size is 60 sq.m. and you can expect the costs to be up to $130,000.
- Three-Bedroom Units: If you have adequate space in your property and the need for a 3-bedroom Granny flat Sydney, you should expect to spend at least $150,000.
Granny Flat Kit Homes
Granny flat kit homes are less expensive compared to building the units from the ground up. The cost of a slab, electrical, and plumbing fixtures may be included within the quote. Look for kit home builders that offer a certain distance of plumbing and electricity and charge for additional distance. Compared to construction projects, kit granny flats can cost the following:
- Up to $120,000 for units of 71 sq.m.
- $95,000 for units of 50 sq.m.
- $81,000 for units of 38 sq.m.
Different kit builders will offer different quotes. It is important to compare the quotes carefully, as some may include or exclude some or all of these factors:
- An external power point and multiple power points
- Carpeted bedroom
- Flooring for other rooms
- Full kitchen
- Enclosed shower with complete bathroom fittings
- Energy-efficient electrical fixtures
You may opt for other options than standard cladding, thus affecting the price.
If you want to have a custom-designed unit, it is important to get quotes from multiple builders. A careful comparison is a must because some quotes can include the cost of plumbing, slab, and electrical fixtures, while others may not. So, you must evaluate all the key factors to determine how much it can cost to build Granny flats Sydney.