Today, most states experience an increasing demand for granny flats. The relaxation and modifications in rules by some states and local governments have contributed to changing the face of granny flats. We at 5 Star Granny Flats have seen that people want their granny flats to have comfortable features and a more attractive look. However, there are still states and local councils that do not permit granny flat renting to other than family members.
Differences Between A Granny Flat And An Apartment
Let us understand the fundamental difference between a granny flat and an apartment. A granny flat is a self-contained place, mostly detached from the main building on the property. An apartment too is self-contained but is always part of a building.
One or two people can occupy a granny flat because it is essentially a separate small living place, generally built behind the bigger house. If the main house has a backyard, the granny flatshares it. Apartments and granny flats may not differ from each other in terms of the available space, but the state and local regulations decide the size of the granny flat.
Pros And Cons Of Living In A Granny Flat
There are various pros and cons to living in granny flats, based on each individual’s needs.
- A detached granny flat with the facility of an independent driveway and some yard space for parking is possible but not in case of an apartment
- Designed with a focus on accessibility
- The small size means less labour to keep it clean and neat
- Lower on maintenance
- If your family lives in the main house, quick help is available to fix any problem you face
- Smaller space
- With a smaller house, unlike large apartments, you need to learn to accommodate all your belongings in less storage space. That is inconvenient if you are used to living in a large house
- While internal accessibility is an advantage, it could be inconvenient to negotiate a granny flat located in the backyard
Relocating To A Granny Flat
When you relocate in a granny flat, the two issues you may face are less space to live in and accessibility. The new skill that you need to learn is how to downsize and declutter your possessions, to make yourself feel comfortable in a much smaller place.
If you are moving into a granny flat on a property that your children own, you benefit from being able to live close to family. This is a great way of enjoying your independence yet being close enough to your kids and grandkids. We are custom granny flats builders that can design and build safe, practical, and very comfortable accommodation for the elderly, any other family members, or as a rental space.
For more information on our granny flat design services, you can get in touch with us at 5 Star Granny Flats today! Just give us a call on 1300 843 921 or fill in this contact us form. You can also use this form to get a quick online quote.